My Life Is So Ordinary

“My life is so ordinary,” she said. (Why is it always women who say this?) “I’ve never worked outside the home. The farthest I’ve ever traveled was to go to Columbus once, and I’ve been married to the same man for fifty-three years. I cook dinner, do the laundry and go to church. What on earth would I write about?”

“If you met a woman who had lived on the edge of the Kalahari Desert all her life, never traveling beyond the cluster of waterholes where her tribe staked their claim, would you think her life was ordinary and uninteresting?”


“Of course not!”

“Write about your life to explain it to that woman, and it will no longer be ordinary.”

Write on,

Sharon Lippincott, aka Ritergal

Countdown: 50 days until the release of The Heart and Craft of Lifestory Writing on July 1. Stay tuned for ordering details.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

This is one of those moments during which I have to say to myself,

Why didn't I think of that?

What a fantastic and empowering point!