Writing Resolutions


Happy New Year, one and all. It’s hard to believe this century is settling in so fast. I recently realized that when I hear the term “last century,” I now think of the 1900s rather than the 1800s. That means the collective memory I’ve acquired from my family (things I know of great-grandparents and their adventures), together with my personal memories, spans three centuries. That gives me a lot to write about!

Speaking of writing, I hope that sometime today or tomorrow, you’ll have a few quiet moments to join me, at least in spirit, with a pad of paper, your favorite pen, and maybe a cuppa whatever to jot down some writing resolutions for 2007.

I managed to squeak under the wire on one of my 2006 resolutions: the manuscript for The Heart and Craft of Lifestory Writing is ready to go to the printer on Tuesday for galley proofs. Talk about cutting it close! That’s the power of a resolution, backed up by a deadline of commitments. No formal release date has been set for the final copies, but I’ll keep you posted.

One of my resolutions for 2007 is to fully participate in the Story Circle Network. I’ve been receiving the monthly Story Circle e-mail newsletter for quite awhile and finally decided to join. I had no idea this would be such a thriving and active on-line writing community! I’m putting a link to the website on the blog here, so anyone can refer back.

Perhaps some of you out there would like to join me at the Story Circle sponsored LifeWriting Retreat at Round Rock, Texas, March 16-18. It’s led by Susan Albert, author of the acclaimed China Bayles mystery series among other things. I love mysteries, and China is one of my favorite characters, so I'm dying to hear Susan's writing secrets!

I’m including a resolution about getting stories and articles published this year — pursuit of publication is something I’ve let slide, and I want to get back to it.

You’ll surely resolve to do a certain amount of writing this coming year, perhaps by schedule, perhaps by numbers of completed stories. Now I’m encouraging you to “think off the paper” to find writing groups, workshops, books of writing tips, and anything else you can think of to lend sparkle and zest to your writing. Stick your list somewhere you’ll see it often so it will keep you on track. I think you’ll be delighted with the results.

Don’t forget, writing should always come first. None of the rest matters if you aren’t writing! Keep those fingers flying.

Here’s to stacks and piles of scintillating tales accumulated over the next 365 days.

Write on,

Sharon Lippincott, aka Ritergal

No comments :